On every day of Black History Month this February, we will provide you with a daily fact that occurred on the same day in a past year in history.
Today’s Black History Month facts for Feb 11th
– On this day in 1644, the first black legal protest in America passed by eleven blacks petitioned for freedom in New Netherlands.
– On this day in 1961, Robert Weaver was sworn in as administrator of the Housing and Home Finance Agency, highest federal post at the time ever achieved by a black American.
– On this day in 1971, Whitney L. Young died. He was named the Executive Director of the National Urban League in 1961.
– On this day in 1976, Clifford Alexander Jr is confirmed as the first black Secretary of the Army.
– On this day in 1990 Nelson Mandela is released from prison.