Social media is the marketing landscape where innovative businesses thrive. From Facebook to Pinterest, and Instagram to YouTube, entrepreneurs have options. One of those options is Twitter. Twitter has over 271 million users a month and is quickly becoming the “itâ€ marketing tool to communicate globally.
According to the Small Business Customer Insights Study, 60% of responders purchased from a small business based on something it said on twitter. In addition, 86% of participants planned on making future purchases.Â These findings show that twitter chatting is more than conversational; it actually leads to sales.
So if there’s purchasing power on Twitter, why aren’t you using it? Based on the aforementioned data, your marketing strategy may be incomplete without it. Perhaps it’s time to get your tweet on. But before you do, check out these four easy tips to turn up your twitter game now.
1. Show Up and Show Out: Be advised, most of your competitors, colleagues and celebrity icons are on Twitter.Â That’s why when you set foot on twitter ground; you have to show up right. Have an eye-catching, professional photo that stylishly reflects your brand. Accessorize your profile with a clear, unique description of who you are and what you do. Show out with stellar, clap worthy content and tweetable insights that attract target consumers.Â Give them what they want and give it consistently.
2. Be a Leader and a Follower: Social media leadership is not often discussed and perhaps, often underrated.Â However, leadership principles do apply to the Twitter-verse. To really build your following, you have to “leadâ€ ideal consumers to you. That means taking the initiative to follow them first.Â But don’t forget, it’s not just about leading; it’s about following too.Â So when someone follows you, be a “followerâ€ and follow them back.
3. Tweet What You Reap: In business, we accomplish new accolades and surpass milestones all the time.Â Don’t be shy about your accomplishments.Â Did you win an award? Are you speaking at an event? Use twitter as a way to announce the great strides you and your company are making. Not only do you establish credibility, you also build buzz for your brand. So next time something awesome happens, pick up your phone and tweet what you reaped.
4. Put Your Back Into It: You remember the old saying, “I’ll scratch your back if you scratch mine?â€Â In other words, you help me and I’ll help you. Well this principle may be old, but it’s still true, even on Twitter. Show the twitter-verse some love. If someone posts an informative article, tweet and acknowledge it. If someone shares great motivation or insight, re-tweet it and tell them. It’s all about cultivating relationships and establishing your footprint in the social media world.Â The more you do it, the more it will be done to you. So start scratching!
5. Make Some Noise: They say silence is golden, but not on twitter.Â Creating an account and doing nothing with it, does zero for your business.Â An estimated 500 million tweets are made each day and if you’re not careful, your tweets could get lost in the shuffle. To avoid getting drowned out, tweet daily at peak times, participate in Twitter chats and use contests and giveaways to bring the noise.
So startups take heed. If you’re looking for a low-cost, strategic way to bring visibility to your brand, look no further.Â Twitter may just be the slice of social media pie you need to drive sales and get customers.
Teri Nichole Harrison is an attorney, success strategist and start-up consultant for out of the box entrepreneurs.Â She is the CEO & founder of Fearless & Fabulous Worldwide, a personal development and business consulting company in Nashville, Tennessee. Teri is also the author of Winning at Entrepreneurship: Innovative Strategies for Small Business Success. For daily empowerment and business insight, follow Teri on twitter: @_TeriHarrison and visit her website: www.FFWORLDWIDE.com.