Enrolling in Humana Medicare
Medicare is a federal insurance program with four parts—Part A, Part B, Part C, and Part D. Humana is a private insurance company that contracts through Medicare to provide coverage to Medicare beneficiaries. In 2019, Humana Medicare had 8.4 million members.
Part A and B are known as Original Medicare. As a private insurer, Humana offers Medicare Supplement plans to help pay for some of the costs not covered by Original Medicare.
Part C, also known as Medicare Advantage, coverage offers beneficiaries insurance coverage through private companies such as Humana. In order to sign up for Humana, you must be enrolled in Medicare Part C.
Part D provides prescription drug coverage. Humana Medicare also offers prescription drug coverage to its members. Below are the plan offerings through Humana.
Humana Advantage Plans
Humana’s Advantage plans provide all of the benefits of Original Medicare along with additional benefits. There are four plans under Humana Advantage including:
- Health Maintenance Organization (HMO)
- Preferred Provider Organization (PPO)
- Private Fee For Service (PFFS)
- Special Needs (SNPs)
Each plan offers a unique set of benefits. Below are some of the benefits provided under these plans. These benefits are solely and only provided to Humana beneficiaries.
- Choice of a primary care physician from within the plan’s provider network
- $0 monthly premium on some plans in some areas
- Prescription drug coverage for some plans
- Emergency coverage anywhere in the world
- Coverage for most annual preventive screenings at no additional cost to you
- Hospitalization coverage
- Membership in the SilverSneakers fitness program on most plans
- In-network home healthcare
- Free coverage for most annual preventive screenings
- Optional fitness programs for an additional premium
- Prescription drug, vision plan and dental insurance coverage for additional premiums
Prescription Drug Plans (PDPs) through Humana Medicare
Humana’s prescription drug plans (PDPs) offers prescription drug coverage through Medicare Part D. There are three plan options including the Humana Basic Rx plan, Humana Premier Rx plan and Humana Walmart Value Rx plan.
Each plan offers its own unique benefits. Some of the benefits a plan may offer include:
- Preferred pharmacies that extend additional savings to Humana members
- Mail-delivery service for a fee
- $0 or $1 copays after deductible for generic drugs
What Are the Costs of Humana Medicare Plans?
All Humana Medicare plans include the following payments:
- A monthly premium
- A deductible
- A copay, although some plans offer a $0 copay
Each plan’s premium varies depending upon the state or region. With PDPs plans, the premium is also determined by the tier of the drug.
Below is a breakdown of the drug tiers. The higher the tier, the more expensive the drug.
|Tier Type||Tier 1||Tier 2||Tier 3||Tier 4||Tier 5|
|Drug Type||Preferred Generic Drugs||Non-PreferredGeneric Drugs||Preferred Generic and Brand Drugs||Non-Preferred Generic and Brand Drugs||Specialty Drugs|
To help cover some of your Medicare costs, Humana also offers supplement plans.
Medicare Supplement Plans through Humana Medicare
Medicare Supplement plans, also known as Medigap, help pay for some of the health benefit costs not covered by Medicare Part A and Part B (Original Medicare). These costs include coinsurance, copays and deductibles.
To qualify, you must be enrolled in Medicare Part A and Part B and reside in the state where the policy is offered.
In most states, Medicare Supplement plans are standardized into plans labeled A through N. Medicare Supplement insurance plans A through G provide benefits at higher premiums with limited out-of-pocket costs. Plans K through N are cost-sharing plans offering similar benefits at lower premiums with greater out-of-pocket costs.
When Can You Enroll in a Humana Medicare Plan?
To be eligible for Medicare you must be over the age of 65, or have a disability or End stage renal disease. Once you are eligible and signed up for Medicare, you will receive a Medicare ID number. You will need this number to enroll into a Humana plan. You can enroll online or call a licensed Humana sales agent at 1-855-578-6813.