Warning: getimagesize(): Filename cannot be empty in /home/blackenterprise/public_html/wp-content/themes/blackenterprise/single-standard.php on line 35
Had Shakespeare ever visited St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands, he might have had his tempest-tossed protagonists wash ashore here. St. Thomas has endless ribbons of pristine beaches, rolling emerald hills and a temperate tropical climate. Nestled between three sloping hills and kissing the Caribbean Sea, the capital city Charlotte Amalie is actually known as the Virgin Islands’ industrial hub, as well as the place to duty-free shop until you drop. You can save 30% to 50% on items such as spices and Waterford crystal.
- Who’s who: St. Thomas is 85% black. A hidden but living St. Thomas treasure is Glenn Davis (340-775-6380). This oral historian gives impromptu recitations and makes this enchanting island even more magical through his renditions of Ashanti Jumbi (ghost) and Anansi (trickster) tales.
- Good eats: Virgilio’s (340-776-4920) Italian seafood dishes and pasta can be enjoyed in this intimate setting on 18 Dronningens Gade…Traipse up Government Hill to Hotel 1829 (340-776-1829) to experience the continental cuisine and elegant ambience of this restaurant situated in one of Charlotte Amalie’s historic buildings . . . Then head over to the Greenhouse (340-774-7998) on Veterans Drive for daiquiris and other tropical drinks.
- Music & more: It’s jazz and traditional West Indian cuisine at Glady’s CafÃ© Jazz Club (340-774-6604). This sister-owned spot is located at Royal Dane Mall West…For a Dockside Jamboree, drop in at the Havensight Shopping Mall on Friday evenings from 6 to 9. It features steel pan music, Mocko Jumbi (stilt dancers) and quadrille (square) dancing. Contact the U.S. Virgin Islands Department of Tourism Office (340-774-8784) for more information.
- On the radio: Listen to WSTA-AM 1340 for calypso, R&B, hip-hop and talk, and WGOD-FM 98 for gospel. Chi-town disc jockey Tom Joyner hosts a syndicated show (Monday-Saturday, 6-10 a.m.) on WWKS-FM 101.3 .
- Where to worship: Located on Garden Street, All Saints Cathedral is an Anglican church that recently celebrated its 150th anniversary, which coincides with the emancipation of the island’s slaves who built the church to commemorate their freedom…A Catholic church, St. Peter & Paul’s Cathedral, is located on Main Street.
- Making connections: The Chamber of Commerce (340-776-0100) sponsors an annual late-spring dinner dance…
- St. Thomas’ Howard University Alumni Association hosts jazz-centered networking gatherings throughout the year…Carnival-an annual, post-Lenten, festive event-is sponsored by the community.
- Sleepy time: Slumber on a hilltop overlooking the harbor at Bluebeard’s Castle Hotel (340-774-5511 or 800-
- 524-6599). Prices range from $170 to $295 nightly.
- Additional details: Surf over to www.onepaper.com for the latest news on St. Thomas.