Warning: getimagesize(): Filename cannot be empty in /home/blackenterprise/public_html/wp-content/themes/blackenterprise/single-standard.php on line 35
Rio de Janeiro (or Cidade Marauihosa, as the locals say) has a striking landscape-rain-forest-clad cliffs and alluring beaches. It’s also a teeming metropolis that never sleeps. So pace yourself. there’s much to see and do in this sun city.
- Good Eats: Taste the traditional dish, feijoada, comprised of black beans, pork and onions served with white rice, collard greens, fried manioc flour and pieces of orange. The Caesar Park Hotel has a feijoada special ($28 per person) on Saturdays. Order the local drink, caipirinha, made of cachaca (sugar cane alcohol), sugar, lime and ice. And dine at a churrascaria (barbecue house) such as Churrascaria Mariu’s (5521-287-2552) or Churrascaria Porcao de Ipanema (5521-521-0999).
- Nightlife: Samba the evening away at Rua Silva Telles (5521-238-5564) or at CafÃ© Nice (5521-262-0679). Also, check out Piano Bar 43 (5521-221-7734) or Rio Jazz Club (5521-541-9046).
- Beach Life: Rio is home to two of the world’s most famous beaches–Ipanema and Copacabana.
- Sites Worth Seeing: Visit Parque Nacional da (de) Tijuca (5521-224-3242) for a taste of a tropical jungle. Another popular attraction, Sugar Loaf Mountain, features a panoramic view on a cable car ride. And explore Rio’s numerous museums, such as Museu Carmen Miranda (Carmen Miranda Museum, 5521-551-2597). It features costumes and fruit-basket headdresses of the 1940s Brazilian movie star.
- Sleepy Time: The Copacabana Palace (5521-548-7070) is one of Rio’s grandest beachfront hotels. Rooms start at $380. Located near most attractions is Sheraton Rio Hotel (5521-274-1122), with rooms from $220. Caesar Park Hotel Ipanema (5521-525-2515) is a five-star hotel with rooms from $307. Bargain for a better rate. (Bargain at markets and with unmetered taxis.)
- FYI: Tourists have been targets of crime. Therefore, a police unit patrols areas frequented by travelers.
- Details: Visit www.rioconvention bureau.com.br or call 213-651-2664 for more information.