The September issue of Black Enterprise features Hollywood heavyweight Will Packer on the cover, and he is definitely on fire. They may have to change the term from the ‘Midas Touch’ to ‘Parker’s Touch,’ as it seems that any film project he touches turns into millions in box-office dollars. Before you pick up a copy at your local newsstands, check out these facts about Will Packer.
1. Packer, along with Ambassador Andrew Young and Martin Luther King III are owners of BOUNCE TV, the first ever over-the-air broadcast television network targeting the African-American audience.
2. Packer and his business partner Rob Hardy, were amongÂ Black Enterprise‘s “Top 25 Money Makers in Hollywood” in 2008.
3. He graduated magna cum laude from Florida A&M University with a Bachelor of Science degree in electrical engineering in 1996.
4. His 2014 film “Ride Along,” starring Ice Cube and Kevin Hart took in over $48 million during the Martin Luther King Jr. Day holiday weekend, making it the biggest January opening box office tally of all time.
5. His first movie, “Trois,” grossed $1.2 million dollars and became the fastest million dollar grossing film distributed by African Americans.
6. Packer is a member of the Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity.
7. Will Packer’s first feature film “Trois” premiered at ABFF in 1999 and he has participated in the festival every year since.
8. Packer is slated as the executive producer of the upcoming, as yet-filmed “N.W.A: Straight Outta Compton” movie.
9. Packer was born and raised in St. Petersburg, Florida and he graduated from St. Petersburg High School in 1991.
10. Will Packer produced his first film, Chocolate City (Rob Hardy directed it).