You read this headline and immediately think, no way. No way do I have what it takes to channel the #1 ranked , 36 total grand slam winning, 69 singles titles toting, 4 Olympic Gold medal carrying, 6 Wimbledon and U.S. Open title acquiring, only tennis player to have achieved a Career Golden Slam in both singles and doubles champion.
Oh, but you do. There is a Serena living inside you, dying to be tapped into, you just have to look inward and execute. Hereâ€™s how:
- Exude confidence. There is something about watching Serena behind the tennis net that immediately reads came to win. Sheâ€™s fearless, assured, convinced of her ability to take it all, and does what it takes to live up to that ability. Watching Serena in any tennis match is never about who sheâ€™s playing against, itâ€™s always about how sheâ€™s playing for herself. If sheâ€™s playing like a winner by Serenaâ€™s own standards, Serena inevitably wins by everyone elseâ€™s.
- Ignore haters. Sheâ€™s black, sheâ€™s a woman, and sheâ€™s arguably the best athlete in the world. Itâ€™s doubtful that a more fertile territory for haters exists. How does Serena combat the hate? She allows each win to fight for her. After which, there is nothing left to be said.
- Generate fear. “Serena is intimidating even when she’s on her best behavior,” said Australian tennis player Sam Stosur following a match with the champion. â€œHer tennis normally does all the talking she needs. But she’s larger than lifeâ€¦You almost feel like you’ve got no chance.â€ Any person or thing that challenges you and your ultimate goals must immediately be ‘Serenaâ€™d.’ It must know that it doesnâ€™t stand a chance before it even gets started.
- Look good doing it. Deion Sanders said it best, If you look good, you feel good. If you feel good, you play good. If you play good, they pay good.â€ When you look your best, your actions try to match that appearance. If you continuously act as good as youâ€™re looking, youâ€™re well on your way to being a champion.
- Win. Looking at Serena, this is pretty much your only option.Winning has come to be expected every time she steps onto the court. Every time you embark on a challenge, let winning be your expectation. Itâ€™s the Serena way.
Be sure to find your inner Serena and bring her with you to the 2016 Black Enterprise Golf & Tennis Challenge, September 1-4, PGA National Resort & Spa, Palm Beach Gardens, Florida.Â Register now.