Warning: getimagesize(http://dev.blackenterprise.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2012/10/KelasKloset100912Main.jpg): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found in /home/blackenterprise/public_html/wp-content/themes/blackenterprise/single-standard.php on line 35
Welcome to the Style Suite with KÃ©la Walker, your source for fashion and style trends for power plays in the workplace. Every Tuesday and Thursday, she’ll share tips and suggestions to helpÂ maximizeÂ your style on a budget. Whether you’re the style devil in Prada or the apprentice with limited apparel, you’ll findÂ somethingÂ in the Style Suite to suit your needs.
For the past few seasons print has been a big fashion trend with no signs of fading out anytime soon. That includes the ever popular animal print, especially leopard print. Despite being a huge trend right now, leopard is a timeless staple in any woman’s wardrobe. Everyone, from First Lady Michelle Obama to pop star Nicki Minaj, has been spotted in the print. And while I wouldn’t suggestion rocking it like Nicki in the workplace, when done right the ferocious print can be quite classy and professional.
For those that are a little reluctant to take a walk on the wild side:
- Start small with animal accessories such as shoes, belts, scarfs or handbags.
- All of these are great subtle ways to introduce animal print into a wardrobe and it will instantly upgrade your style. (Please don’t wear all three at the same time. Stick to one or two at any given time.)
(Shop the look here.)
When it comes to animal print, separates are the way to go:
- When properly paired, skirts, blouses, blazers and sweaters are all non-threatening ways to show off your animalistic side.
- Black and white are no brainier colors to partner with animal prints but try color.
- Green, red and orange are great color compliments to leopard and make it a little more fun in the work place.
- Now if you are brave enough to wear full on animal print into the office, make sure its in the form of a dress, not a suit.
- Dresses should be soft and feminine with a relaxed feel to them.
- Stay away from tight, body conscious dresses- they don’t read professional in the work place.
- Instead opt for A-line dresses in chiffon like material that has an easy flowing style.
Whatever you do, keep in mind that any great animal print should resemble the animal it’s mimicking i.e. leopard, zebra, snakeskin, dalmatian and etc. I prefer my accessories with texture, suede and mohair for leopard print shoes and belts and a rough scaly feel for snake skin prints. But that’s where the texture stops. Clothing should simply be made of a quality material with a color combo that closely resembles the animal’s actual print.
Keep these tips in mind and you will be killing them in the office. Of course, I mean that in the most non threatening, nicest way possible. Go get ’em Tiger!
KÃ©la Walker is an award-winning, Emmy-nominated producer and TV host, who has contributed lifestyle and entertainment content for outlets includingÂ NBC’s LXTV, Getty Images, YRB Magazine, Madame Noire, and RTL Germany. She also has a passion for fashion and offers the latest in fab fashion trends and consumer deals with KelasKloset.com. Her chic style and trendsetting blog has been lauded by sites including Essence.com and Huffington Post Black Voices.