It’s not enough to pray for success, you have to plan for it. To make 2016 your best year, ask yourself the following questions.
1. What is my definition of success? With everyone tuned into the lives of others on social media etc., it’s easy to adopt someone else’s definition of success and fall into the habit of comparing ourselves to others. But, if you want to live a happy and fulfilling life, start by challenging assumptions and questioning some of the things you’ve been taught as a child; even learned as an adult. Does the title of CEO excite you, or ‘filmmaker?’ Have the courage to follow your gut.
2. What are my 2015 accomplishments? Taking a few minutes to jot down your accomplishments is a great way to expand your goals in 2016. And the list can do wonders for your confidence. Equally important to capturing your highlights, is taking stock of the personal and business goals you struggled with in 2015.
3. What can I do less of in 2016? We’re always thinking about what we need to do more of to be successful, but figuring out what you can do less of is just as important. For instance, spending less time on social media or less time complaining is a great way to get incredibly focused on your goals and make success happen.
4. How do I want to be perceived by others? Taking your personal brand to the next level includes a consistent process of re-evaluating your strengths, weaknesses, online profiles, and relationships with others, etc.
5. How can I break my goals into actionable steps? Sometimes we create big lofty goals that go no further than the idea stage. Breaking down your goals into small manageable steps is an essential step to achieving your goals. For instance, if your plan is to take a trip of a lifetime to South Africa in 2016, here are a few steps you might take:
a. Research South Africa (e.g, best time to go, average cost of hotel stay, etc.)
b. Select a vacation date.
c. Schedule vacation time with your employer.
d. Open a savings account.
e. Have $50-$100 deducted from your weekly or biweekly paycheck for 9 months.
6. What tools can I use to help me accomplish my goals in 2016? To help you keep track and monitor your goals, there are several great apps, such as GoalsOnTrack and Habit List. Â Alternatively, you can use the calendar in your smartphone to set goal reminders and positive affirmations.
7. Who can help me accomplish my goals? The New Year is a great time to take stock of your network? Are your (toxic) relationships with people holding you back from success? Can you create strategic partnerships with other programs or businesses? Additionally, it’s also a great time to identify people in your network who act as mentors and sponsors. Check out this great article on BlackEnteprise.com about why you should have both a mentor and sponsor.
8. How can I give back to my community? Giving back to a cause you’re passionate about is a great way to help people who are less fortunate, build a respectable brand, and establish authentic relationships with like-minded people.
Have you developed a plan for success in 2016? Share with me in the comments section below.